Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Momtrepreneur Of The Month...

Heidi Offel started as a client, but over time has become a friend. Of coarse, it is exciting to see my friends do what they enjoy to do, "sell their craft." The name "TyBro Treasures" comes from the combination of the two most valuable "Treasures" in her life, her two boys Tyler and Brody. Brody is famous for getting me published in the Little Redhead Book.


Although Heidi has been creating crafts for some time now, she finally made it her business this past August. When she sent out the link to her website, TyBroTreasures.com, I saw her growth carts and all I could think was, I WANT ONE!

So, anyone who knows me knows I am a Red Sox fan trapped in Yankee country. So when I asked Heidi, a Yankee Fan, to make me a Red Sox Growth Cart, I could feel the hairs on the back of her head go up. But, she was a trooper and made this most beautiful chart for my boys. Honestly, I could fit on the thing too :)





BTW, this is a secret, hopefully hubby doesn't read my blog :) Right now it is hiding up in my attic until Christmas.

I asked some questions to Heidi about her business:

Please explain a little bit about your product/business and how you developed the concept behind it:

Most of the products I design start off as unfinished wood pieces. No two items are ever the same since I hand paint/decorate each one individually. I developed the concept based on my desire to make things for my own two children as well as gifts for family and friends. I’m the type of person to see something in a store or magazine and say, “Oh that’s adorable, but I could totally make that myself and I would change this, this and this...”


What makes your product/business so unique and why can’t I live without it?

Do you have a store front/website/etsy? (please include url)


My products are as unique as the individual for whom they are made. For example, if someone asks me to make a set of wall letters for their child, I send them a series of questions to allow me a glimpse into that child’s personality, demeanor, interests and family and then I gear the design of the letters to reflect that as best I can. I usually feel like I know the “subject” personally by the time I’m done with their item.

Where can we buy your products?

www.tybrotreasures.com

www.tybrotreasures.blogspot.com


What are some of your short and long term goals with your business?


Short term – spread the word and generate business, open an Etsy store

Long term – expand my “product line” – I’m always looking for new items to market!

Is there anything exciting in the works that we can look forward to?

I’m hoping to be able to offer more variety with one of my most popular item – the wall letters – soon. I am working on finding letters with different fonts that will help reflect the personality of my clients even better.

What is the hardest part or has been some of your struggles starting your own business?

Shipping costs and Moving to FL. I’m still in the process of researching the best way to ship my items – specifically the growth charts. They are an awkward length and it’s hard to find the best and most economical way to ship them. I’m still working on that! As for moving, we moved last year from NY to FL and we’re preparing to move again (locally) in the next 6 months. It’s great in the sense that you are broadening your market area, but moving also takes time away from production.


About You:

Tell me about your family, kids, hubby, pets.

I’m very fortunate to have two beautiful boys and a very supportive husband. I’m also lucky to be able to stay home with my boys, which allows me time to develop my business and work on production. We are big travelers and have moved a ton in the short time that we’ve been a family – but I love that we are always on the go and doing something unique and fun, whether it’s a trip to CA or taking in a Blue Angels show or Space Shuttle launch. A dull moment is a rare moment in the Offel house!

What is your ideal thing to do on a lazy weekend with the family?

We love being outside and now that we live in FL, we can be outside just about all year long. A lazy weekend usually consists of a Daddy-made Breakfast on the patio, an afternoon bike ride or a day at the beach, topped off with a BBQ with friends or neighbors.

Favorites:

Reality Show: I don’t watch very many reality shows, but I always like when I catch “Jon and Kate Plus Eight” for a little perspective on life!

Favorite online shopping: Intrigued with Etsy.com right now! ( ILOVE ETSY BTW!)

Can’t live without item: my baseball hat (Yankees, of course)


How do you balance your business and your family?

My boys are creatures of their routine so while Brody naps in the afternoon, I set Tyler up on a craft project of his own and we both go to “work” in the office upstairs. It is such a nice, quiet, productive time of day. While Tyler and I work, we get a chance to chat so I’m able to work on orders/projects without feeling like I’m taking time away from either of them. But I’m most productive at night after the kids are in bed.


SOOOOOOO... don't you love them! Want one? Want to give one for the holidays? How about a "Surprise Photography" special? Got to love those. Contact Heidi in the next month, mention Surprise Photography, and receive 10% off your growth cart.

Want to be featured as "Momtrepreneur" of the month? Please drop me an email for more info at melissa@surprisephotography.com.





No comments: